Pumpkin CubeSat Kits
$6250 - $8750
Through its comprehensive and flexible hardware and software design, Pumpkin’s space-proven CubeSat Kit will help achieve success in your CubeSat mission. Now in its fourth generation and with over 150 delivered to customers since 2003, Pumpkin’s CubeSat Kit is the defacto standard in the CubeSat universe, with compatible product offerings from Pumpkin and third parties.
- Available product options
- Packaging information
- Provides hardware solutions for structure, C&DH, RTC, mass storage, RBF and development / debug systems in a single commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) package.
- User-selectable Pluggable Processor Modules (PPMs) with 8- and 16-bit microcontrollers with low power requirements
- Wiring-free interconnect scheme accepts user modules and/or PC/104 modules as payload on standardized stacking connectors, thereby increasing reliability
- Compatibility with any confirming transceivers eases COM integration.
- +5Vdc primary supply for all on-board electronics simplifies power supply design – also has external +5Vdc bus power connector.
- Kit can accommodate any +5V/+3.3V transceiver via adapters or as a user-designed module for COM. The transceivers available on CubeSatShop are fully compatible.
- Bus-powered USB interface for on-the-launcher monitoring, firmware upgrades, etc.
- On-board electronics can be powered directly from USB interface.
- 104-pin stackable CubeSat Kit Bus connects user modules without wires. Supports multiple stacking heights.
- Accepts up to 5 PC/104-sized user modules. COTS +5V PC/104 modules supported on a separate bus.
- Development board is electrically identical to Motherboard+PPM, with additional features for debugging.
- Flight MCUs:
- TI’s MSP430
- Silicon Labs’ C8051
- Microchip’s DsPIC33DSCs
- Skeletonized (highly recommended)
- Size: 0.5U, 1U, 1.5U, 2U or 3U
- Possibility to buy a Kit without Pumpkin Structure
- Kit for full compatibility with ISIS Turnstile, Monopole, Dipole, Combined AntS.
- Dedicated Solar Panel Clips
- Large-Aperture Base or Cover plate
- All flight components are rated for -40 to +85°C
- Rigid and lightweight aluminum construction with only three major assemblies and all-stainless fasteners
- Fully alodyned for electrical conductivity. Wear surfaces are hard-anodized
- Available Flight MCUs details:
- PPM A1/A2/A3, 7.3728-16MHz: TI’s ultra-low-power 16-bit MSP430F162/1611/2618 MCUs
- PPM B1, 100MIPS@100MHz: Silicon Labs 8-bit C8051F120 MCU
- PPM D1, 16MIPS@32MHz: Microchip 16-bit PIC24FJ256GA110 MCU
- PPM D2, 40MIPS@80MHz: Microchip dsPIC33FJ256GP710 DSC
- Each processor family provide:
- A minimum of multiple timers
- Low-power modes
A complete CubeSat Kit contains of two groups of components – the processor-independent components, and the processor-specific components.
System such as COM, EPS, antenna(s) and mission software are not included. However such products are available on CubeSatShop and compatible with Pumpkin CubeSat Kits.
- Processor-independents components included:
- A complete CubeSat mechanical structure (0.5U, 1U, 1.5U, 2U or 3U)
- CubeSat Kit Development Board (DB)
- CubeSat Kti Mother Board (MB)
- External universal +5Vdc 4A switching power supply
- External universal 6-12Vdc switching power supply
- Protoboard Kit
- USB cable
- Phillips #1 screwdriver
- 1/4” offset wrench
- 9/64″ Allen wrench
- Remove-Before-Flight Pin and lanyard
- Mischellaneous fasteners / mounting hardware
- Processor-specific components included:
- Pluggable Processor Module (PPM) for use on the Motherboard (MB)
- Pluggable Socketed Processor Module (PSPM) or equivalent for use on the Development Board (DB), fitted with the appropriate processor.
- A USB progammer / debugger specific compatible with the PPM’s processor, with necessary cables.
- A programming adapter to connect the programmer / debugger to the PPM via a Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) connector
- Access to the customer download area on the CubeSat Kit website for the following processor-specific software for the CubeSat Kit:
- Pumpkin Salvo Pro RTOS
- Pumpkin CubeSat Kit software
- HCC-Embedded EFFS-THIN SD CARD Library for the CubeSat Kit
A compatible compiler / IDE / software development toolset is required and is not included in each CubeSat Kit. Customers must purchase a compatible toolset for the processor family they have chosen for their CubeSat Kit.
What type of connector can I use to interface with the CubeSat Kit Bus?
Most projects make use of the available 52 pin SAMTEC connector choices as show in the following table.
|Connector name||Image||Intended Use||Height from PCB mount [mm]||Height below mounting interface [mm]|
|SSQ-126-21-G-D||Stack End Mount on bottom||8.5||2.4|
|SSQ-126-23-G-D||Stack Mount middle||8.5||9.6|
|ESQ-126-38-G-D||Stack Mount middle||11.05||7.3|
|ESQ-126-39-G-D||Stack Mount middle||11.05||12.2|
|TSW-126-07-G-D||Stack End Mount on top||3||5.8|