Sodern Auriga SA
The compact star tracker for small satellite missions & constellations, Auriga™ star tracker is packed with the latest high-tech components and optimized for small satellite platforms of less than 500kg and for CubeSats starting from 6U. Radiation-resistant with a thicker casing and hardened optics, Auriga™ allows a lifetime of over 15 years in geostationary orbit and 10 years in low Earth orbit (LEO 400-1,200km). With its standardized components, Auriga™ is specifically designed to meet cost reduction objectives while offering excellent technical performance and reliability. Its reduced volume (66 x 59 x 94 mm) and its weight of 225g make it the most compact star tracker in its category. Over 1200 Auriga™ are already in orbit with a mission success rate of 100%.
Star Tracker optical head and an electronic unit for plug-and-play integration:
- Specifically designed for small satellite missions.
- Low-cost, high-production rate, reduced weight and volume.
- Guaranteed for 10 years lifetime in LEO orbit.
- In orbit demonstration since 2019.
- Inherited from our 50 years of experience with star trackers.
*From 100.000 € for one optical head and one electronic unit (indicative price excluding NRE).
Lead Time: Less than 3 months for small volumes for Auriga-CP. Dual use product, lead time might be subject to export control licence delay of approval.
Optical Head (OH)
- Baffle protection for direct Sun and Earth illumination
- Up to 3 Optical Heads may be connected to 1 Electronic Unit through the SpaceWire interface
- Lifetime can be up to 10 years in LEO and 15 years I GEO orbit with EOR
Electronic Unit (EU)
- Embedded software processing OH’s data and computing the attitude
- Can perform OH FDIR through an autonomous individual OH switch ON/OFF
- The operating frequency is assumed to be a 10 Hz operating refresh rate
- Embedded Star Catalog and Algorithms inherited from 50 years of experience and Hydra Star Tracker.
|Operating temperature range (°C)||-20/+40|
|Storage temperature (°C)||-30/+70|
|Mechanical environment (in/out of plane)||14/22 gRMS gRMS / 2000gSRS @2000 Hz|
|OH size (mm, including baffle)||66 x 56 x 94 (height)|
|EU size (mm)||91 x 117 x 25 (height)|
|OH mass (g, including baffle)||205|
|EU mass (g)||315|
Reliability, Availability and Lifetime
|EEE parts class for OH||ECSS Class 3 equivalent and Automotive|
|EEE parts class for EU||ECSS Class 3 equivalent and Automotive|
|Reliability for OH||230 FIT (FIDES method @20°C)|
|Reliability for EU||470 FIT (FIDES method @20°C)|
|Lifetime (years)||10 in LEO 400-1200km; 15 in GEO with EOR|
|OH Power supply (V)||Supplied by EU|
|EU Power supply (V)||5V (±5%)|
|OH Power consumption (W, typ/max)||0.8/1.1|
|EU Power consumption (W, typ/max)||2.5/3.4|
|Output data||EU: RS422 UART (115200 baud)|
|Output rate (Hz)||8 or 10|
Performances and Robustness
|Bias (worst case)||0.017 deg|
|Thermo-elastic Error (worst case)||1 arcsec/°C|
|Low Frequency spatial (FOV) error XY/Z @ 3σ||9/51 arcsec|
|High Frequency spatial (Pixel) error XY/Z @ 3σ||6.6/37 arcsec|
|Temporal noise on XY/Z @ 3σ||11/69 arcsec|
|Time from lost-in-space (typ)||< 4s|
|Slew rate in Acquisition||0.3 deg/s|
|Slew rate in Tracking||Up to 3 deg/s²|
|Acceleration in Acquisition||Up to 1 deg/s²|
|Acceleration in Tracking at 10 Hz||Up to 2.5 deg/s²|
|Full Moon in the field of view||No performance degradation|
|Baffle Sun Exclusion Angle||35 deg|
|Baffle Earth Exclusion Angle||22 deg|
|Solar flare Acquisition/Tracking||Robust|